The Holi Festival in India // March 27, 2013
1. Hindu devotees play with colour during Holi celebrations at the Banke Bihari temple in Vrindavan. (Daniel Berehulak/Getty Images)
2. Hindu devotees play with colour during Holi celebrations in the back streets close to the Banke Bihari temple in Vrindavan. (Daniel Berehulak/Getty Images)
3. An Indian Hindu widow walks with a cane as flowers fall from above during Holi celebrations organized by the NGO Sulabh at the Meera Sahbhagini Ashram in Vrindavan.(Kevin Frayer/AP)
4. An Indian Hindu widow stands covered in coloured powder during Holi celebrations organized by the NGO Sulabh at the Meera Sahbhagini Ashram in Vrindavan. (Kevin Frayer/AP)
5. A Hindu woman stands on a floor covered with coloured powder as devotees celebrate Holi festival inside the Banke Bihari temple in Vrindavan. (Altaf Qadri/AP)
6. A stray dog rests in front of a closed shop as devotees walk towards the Banke Bihari temple to celebrate Holi in Vrindavan, India. (Altaf Qadri/AP)
7. Indian youth play with coloured powder during Holi festival celebrations in Jammu. (Channi Anand/AP)
1) The day my sister got back from the hospital after a suicide attempt. I didnt let go for about an hour.
2) Kid just found out his brother was shot and killed.
3) A Russian war veteran kneels beside the tank he spent the war in, now a monument.
4) Man sobbing at animal shelter. After being jailed briefly and his dog Buzz Lightyear impounded he couldn’t afford the $400 to get his pet back.
5) A firefighter gives water to a koala during the devastating Black Saturday bushfires that burned across Victoria, Australia, in 2009.
6) Alcoholic father with his son
7) Robert Peraza pauses at his son’s name on the 9/11 Memorial during the tenth anniversary ceremonies at the site of the World Trade Center.
8) Greg Cook hugs his dog Coco after finding her inside his destroyed home in Alabama following the Tornado in March, 2012
9) After two double lung transplants and years of battling cystic fibrosis, my good friend passed away last Saturday. This was one of the last pics taken with his mother.
“Nevertheless, the fact is that there is nothing as dreamy and poetic, nothing as radical, subversive, and psychedelic, as mathematics. It is every bit as mind blowing as cosmology or physics… and allows more freedom of expression than poetry, art, or music… Mathematics is the purest of the arts, as well as the most misunderstood.” - Paul Lockhart
I know I’ve posted this before, but it’s always worth revisiting. So great.
math was never so beautiful.